Haddock Puffs (otherwise known as fish parcels) has got to be one of our all-time Little Chefs favourites, so we usually do it at least once a term. It’s so easy and yummy, you can do it at home with any kind of cooked fish, or just broccoli or spinach if you’re not a fish fan. One of our regulars, Kerry, even made it at home with shredded chicken and mayo and said it was soooo good!
Ingredients (serves 4, makes 4 puffs)
- 4 small fillets smoked haddock
- 1 big handful of watercress (washed & dried)
- 4 tbsp crème fraiche
- 1 roll puff pastry divided into 4 (wide) strips
- Milk for brushing
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Carrot sticks
- Cooked Broccoli
- Cook the haddock (poach or microwave)
- Cook the broccoli
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 8.
- Cut your haddock fillet with scissors into bite size pieces.
- Add 1 tbsp crème fraiche to the fish and mix
- Tear off the watercress leaves and add them to the mixture, stirring it all together.
- Lay the pastry rectangle in front of you, with the short edge nearest you. Spoon the mixture onto the bottom half of the pastry, leaving a 1cm gap around the edge.
- Brush the edges with a little milk then fold the top half of the pastry over the mixture, then press the edges down together. Put two slits in the top (to let the steam out) and brush it with a bit more milk.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake for 25-30 mins until the pastry has turned golden brown.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and cherry tomatoes.