Spring rolls have become a firm favourite with our little chefs and the grown ups who come with them to the group. We always get comments on how simple this recipe is and it’s easy to adapt to your own tastes. We’ve tried a few different options for fillings and this has been the most popular combination so far. The usual Little Chefs rule applies – if you don’t like it, don’t put it in!
Ingredients (serves 4, makes 8 rolls)
- 200g carrot, grated
- 200g beansprouts
- 200g cooked chicken pieces
- 8 tbsp sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)
- 16 squares ready-rolled filo pastry (2 sheets per roll)
- sweet chilli sauce or plum sauce
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- Dipping sauces
- Cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper
- Prawn crackers
- Grate carrot
- Cook rice according to instructions on packet
- Preheat oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
- Mix the carrot, beans, beansprouts, chicken and sweetcorn together in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp sweet chilli or plum sauce of your choice and stir well.
- Lay a piece of filo pastry on the work surface in a diamond shape with one corner pointing towards you. Brush with a little oil, then cover with a second piece of pastry. Brush with more oil.
- Spoon a good dollop of the filling onto the corner nearest you (remember the filling mix should be enough for 8 rolls). Fold this corner towards the centre and tuck it under the filling. Fold the two outside corners in towards the middle so it looks like an envelope. Brush with oil, then roll up the pastry into a parcel. Repeat with the remaining mixture and pastry.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
- Serve with rice, extra dipping sauce, prawn crackers and crunchy colourful veg sticks